Stuffed Red Chili Pickle (Bharva Lal Mirchi Ka Achar)
About this Recipe
By: Preeti Gupta
Stuffed Red Chili Pickle also called in Hindi “Bharva Lal Mirch Ka Achar”. This goes very well with north Indian dishes. Pickle adds a great flavor to Indian food. The spices with are very good for digestion also. This pickle is eaten with rice, Indian bread (Chapati, Paratha, Puri) also can be eaten with the Indian snacks too. Looks very hot and fiery but not always as depend on the spices you add.
- 1 lb Red Chili
- 1/2 cup Mustard Oil
- 2 tbsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp Red Chile Powder (As per your taste)
- 2 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Plain Salt ( As per your taste)
- 1/2 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt (As per your taste)
- 4 tbsp Fennel Seeds (Souf)
- 1 tbsp Carom Seeds (Ajwain)
- 1 tbsp Fenugreek Seeds (Methi)
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 tsp Kalonji
- 4 tbsp Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Summer is the best time to make pickles. as this requires good sun light.
- Red chili pickle is a chili so please add chili little according to the taste.
- Drying is very important other wise pickle can get spoil.
- I love this pickle wanted to make it. This time on my trip to India, Kiran Gupta my Sister-In-Law shared her recipe with me, Thank you so much!
Step by Step Instructions
Take Fresh Red Chili and wash it nicely. Dry the chili with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel nicely.
After drying, remove the top of the chili and make sure you wear gloves if you have sensitive skin or apply oil in hand before cutting. Also remove all seeds from inside. Cover them and keep for drying for a few hours in sun preferably. So it is completly dry no moisture left. Please note if they are not dried properly can get spoil and will not stay for long.
All the spices used should to be fresh for best result. Roast the spices Corriander seeds, Fennel seeds (Souf), Carom seeds (Ajwain), Fenugreek seeds (Methi) Cumin seeds (Jeera), Mustard seeds, and the grind them coarsely. and put them in a bowl and mix. Add Red Chile powder, Kalonji, Turmeric Powder, Plain salt Himalayan Salt (Rock salt), Black Salt (Kala Namak), Asafoetida (Hing), Mango Powder (Amchur) Garam masala, sugar and mix all ingredients together.
Heat the mustard oil in a pan till smoking point. Keep for a few minutes so it cools down. Add it in the spices. (Taste the prepared stuffing if you need more any spice per your taste). Stuff the chilis with the prepared stuffing and then put them in a glass pickle jar. Pour left over oil over it. Put the jar in sun.
Put the jar in sun everyday covered with cloth for 10 to 15 days so its cooked.